The Consulate General of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to Western USA based in Los Angeles issues ordinary passports to all Afghan citizens who reside in the area of its jurisdiction in accordance with the rules and regulations of Afghanistan. Applications for diplomatic, service, and student passports may be directed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Please read the requirments carefully prior to starting an application.
- Application form:Please fill out the online application form in one national language (Dari or Pashto) as well as in English and submit it online. You must ensure that your application is filled out correctly. All parts of the application must be filled with accurate information. The information in your application must match your supporting documents such as previous passport, Tazkira, and other IDs that you carry. Please make sure that your signature is inside the box and does not touch the box lines.
- Stating applicant surname is mandatory.
- Date of birth must be written in the form of (dd/mm/yyyy e.g. 04/Jul/1990) in both Gregorian and Afghan calendars.
- Place of birth should be stated as per birth certificate or the Tazkira.
- Applicants should state their exact height measurements in centimeters (cm).
- A printed copy of online application form is required to bring with you at the Consulate General of Afghanistan on the day of your appointment. If you are mailing your application package, please include your signed application form.
- Appointment:Right after the submission of online application you will be directed to the appointment section to schedule your appointment. If you do not find a suitable time available soon on the website, you may mail your complete application along with your fingerprints attested by an authorized place (such as a police station) and a responsible officer from the Consulate will contact you to set up an online interview for you. During the COVID-19 pandemic, physical presence for interview is not a requirement.
- Check-list: You will receive a check-list in your email automatically after submission of your application. Please read it carefully and check the box next to each question. The check-list intends to make sure that your application package is complete. Please include this check-list in your folder when you mail the complete application package or bring it in your interview
- National ID card/ Tazkira:Certified original Tazkira is a required document that must be included in your application package. Without an original Tazkira, your application will not be accepted. Tazkira that has not been attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan may be directed to Afghanistan Central Civil Registration Authority (ACCRA) for verification and only after receiving official response will your application be processed.
- Old passport: It is required that you include your original current/expired/old passport in your application package.
- Passport size photos:It is required to include in your application package three standard passport-size photos with white background 4x4.5cm.
- Passport fees: Passport fees must be sent in the form of money orders payable to "Consulate of Afghanistan LA". Cash will not be accepted. Each applicant must send two separate money orders payable to the Consulate General of Afghanistan in Los Angeles: $120 as fee for the passport; $20 for mailing services. Members of the same family or friends must NOT combine money orders. Each application is treated separately. If you combine your money orders, they will be rejected and the application will not be processed.
- Fines: If your passport is expired already at the time of your application, the following penalties will be applied:
- Three months past validity date on passport : $5
- Six months past validity date on passport: $10
- Nine months past validity date on passport: $15
- Twelve months past validity date on passport: $20
- Fines must be prepared as a third money order and must not be combined with passport fees or mailing costs.
- Passport for children under eighteen:Parents can apply for passports for their minor children by following the above guidelines. Application for minor should be signed by parents and notarized.
- Please submit your application to Consulate of Afghanistan in Los Angeles.Att: Passport Section. 120 South Doheny Dr, Beverly Hills, CA 90211